Date:	Sun, 02 Dec 2007 21:13:30 -0500
From:	Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>
To:	kmh@...dshack.com
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, lermen@...erv.ffm.fgan.de,
	lermen@...n.de, davej@...hat.com, cebbert@...hat.com
Subject: Re: PROBLEM: loadlin incompatible with 2.6.23 kernels

Kenneth Howlett wrote:
> The loadlin boot loader fails to boot 2.6.23 kernels.
>
> I used msdos 6.22 in real mode, without himem.sys or any other memory
> manager, without any tsrs; loadlin 1.6c; and kernel 2.6.23.1-42.fc8, which
> is the install kernel for the fedora core 8 distribution. The normal loadlin
> messages are displayed, the display is cleared and the cursor moves to the
> upper left corner, and then nothing else happens. No kernel boot messages
> are displayed. The computer does not respond to most keyboard actions, but
> the computer does reboot when I press control-alternate-delete.
>
> My computer is a dell dimension 4100 with pentium III 733mhz and intel
> chipset, and ATI radeon all-in-wonder display controller.
>
> The output of loadlin -d is:
> LOADLIN v1.6c (C) 1994..2002 Hans Lermen <lermen@...n.de>
>
> Your current LINUX kernel boot configuration is:
>   image file:       fed8.ker
>   kernel version    2.6.23.1-42.fc8 (kojibuilder@...builder1.fedora.redhat.com) #1 SMP Tue Oct 30 13:05:10 EDT 2007
>   kernel size:     0x001E0300 (high loaded) setup size:  0x2C00, heap: 0x1200
>   VGA mode:         0xFFFF
>   command line (size 0x0013):
>     BOOT_IMAGE=fed8.ker
>
> Your current DOS/CPU configuration is:
>   load buffer size: 0x00F60000 EXT , setup buffer size:  0x3E00
>   lowmem buffer:    0x00080000 (part of load buffer)
>   total memory:     0x040FFC00
>   CPU is in REAL mode
>   SetupIntercept: YES, legal intercept, setup header version 0206
>   stat1: cpu in real 386 mode, no need to backswitch
>   input params (size 0x0011):
>     fed8.ker -d o.txt
>   LOADLIN started from DOS-prompt
>
> Option -t set, Linux not loaded
>

> I tried using loadlin -f, and the result was the same. I tried using loadlin
> -noheap, and the computer rebooted itself instead of crashing. I tried using
> freedos 1.0 instead of msdos 6.22, and instead of crashing, the computer
> displayed a message saying invalid opcode, and the dos prompt returned. I
> tried using the 586, 686, and debug kernels from packages on the fedora core
> 8 dvd, and the result was the same. I tried using the pae kernel from the
> package on the fedora core 8 dvd, and the computer crashed like before, but
> this time the computer did not respond to control-alternate-delete.
>
> Loadlin works ok with older kernels. The kernel works ok with other boot
> loaders. I tested the integrity of my fedora core 8 dvd and it was ok.
>
> I searched the web, and the only reference I found was
> The first comment is from me. The person who wrote the original post
> seems to be compiling his own kernels; therefore this is probably a kernel
> problem, not a problem with the fedora core 8 distribution. The person who
> wrote the original post says that kernel 2.6.22.12 did not have this
> problem, therefore the problem probably appeared in the 2.6.23 kernels, and
> earlier kernels are probably ok.

> [...]
Lots of stuff has changed in recent versions, if you can try booting
with the option "acpi=off" that might or might not be informative.
Haven't used loadlin in years, and be aware that the Fedora kernel is
not entirely compatible with the kernel.org releases, although that's
rarely a problem.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>