Date:	Sun, 2 Dec 2007 19:51:32 -0600
From:	Scott White <nwi_sub@...mail.com>
To:	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org>
CC:	<linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: 2.6.23.9, make install doesn't work with grub anymore??

> Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 22:27:20 -0800
> From: arjan@...radead.org
> To: nwi_sub@...mail.com
> CC: linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
> Subject: Re: 2.6.23.9, make install doesn't work with grub anymore??
>
> On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 20:51:14 -0500
> Scott Noone  wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I downloaded the vanilla kernels 2.6.23.8 and 2.6.23.9 from
>> kernel.org. I unpacked them like I have every other kernel release.
>> I compiled the kernel successfully, did the make modules and make
>> modules_install with no problems. When I did the make install I am
>> told it Cannot find LILO. The message seems to come
>> from /usr/src/linux-2.6.23.9/arch/i386/boot/install.sh The script is
>> correct that I don't have lilo installed, I have used grub for quite
>> some time. I don't remember having this problem with older kernels,
>> sorry I don't remember one of the top of head. Did something change
>> or is: cp .config /usr/src/linux-2.6.23-9 make menuconfig make make
>> modules make modules_install make install no longer adequate to
>> compile and install a kernel?
>
> Hi,
>
> actually this isn't the fault of the kernel; the grub/lilo/etc stuff is
> done by a distro specific script that just gets called from make
> install...
>
> did you happen to change distros or update something like an
> initscripts or similar package recently?
>
> Greetings,
> Arjan van de Ven

Yes I just temporarily switched from Fedora to Slax for a medium sized project I am working on.  I wanted to stick with Fedora, but the requirements are forcing me to use Slax.

I assumed the problem was with the kernel since install.sh came with the kernel.org kernel.  Now this may be a silly question, but why is the install script distro specific?  I assumed that the install script would be modular like the kernel.  If a new bootloader came out, just add a module.  Please keep in mind I have no knowledge of the kernel internals.  I just compile and go.

Thanks,
Scott