Date:	Thu, 17 Jan 2008 21:26:37 +0100
From:	"Vegard Nossum" <vegard.nossum@...il.com>
To:	"Dmitry Torokhov" <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-input@...r.kernel.org,
	"William Pettersson" <william.pettersson@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [BISECTED] Re: psmouse.c: GlidePoint at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost sync at byte 1

On Jan 16, 2008 9:49 PM, Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com> wrote:
> Hmm, it seems to work properly, I think it is now a setup issue to a
> certain degree. The touchpad now works in native mode (as opposed to
> Intellimouse emulation) and so I'd recommend installing Synaptics X
> driver from http://web.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/

I have now installed this driver and copied the relevant parts of the
example X configuration file. However, I do not think that this is the
correct driver. I can move the mouse around, but only VERY slowly
(takes 6-7 swipes over the pad just to go from one edge of the screen
to the other), and only the left/right buttons work. Tapping does NOT
work. I also installed and ran gsynaptics. I am not sure how or if
this program will change my X config or not, but changing any settings
there did not have any effect on the mouse at all. (It also showed
that tapping was enabled.)

> Just to verify, could you please locate evtest utility and check
> whether your up and down buttons generate BTN_FORWARD and BTN_BACK
> events?

Where can I find evtest? It is not in my distribution's software
repository (Fedora 8). I have tried to use xev instead (I do not know
if this is sufficient), and it reports the following when I press
up/down buttons:

ButtonPress event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x3200001,
    root 0x13b, subw 0x0, time 2305203062, (49,88), root:(600,409),
    state 0x0, button 4, same_screen YES

ButtonRelease event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x3200001,
    root 0x13b, subw 0x0, time 2305203062, (49,88), root:(600,409),
    state 0x800, button 4, same_screen YES

ButtonPress event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x3200001,
    root 0x13b, subw 0x0, time 2305205151, (49,88), root:(600,409),
    state 0x0, button 5, same_screen YES

ButtonRelease event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x3200001,
    root 0x13b, subw 0x0, time 2305205151, (49,88), root:(600,409),
    state 0x1000, button 5, same_screen YES

Still, I wonder if it may be better for me to use the old driver
(ImPS/2 -- is this the Intellimouse?) since this used to work
perfectly for me earlier. Maybe I can just remove the GlidePoint
driver from my kernel to force the older driver?

Kind regards,
Vegard Nossum