Date:	Mon, 04 Feb 2008 20:08:29 -0800
From:	Max Krasnyansky <maxk@...lcomm.com>
To:	Paul Jackson <pj@....com>
CC:	a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	mingo@...e.hu, srostedt@...hat.com, ghaskins@...ell.com
Subject: Re: Integrating cpusets and cpu isolation [was Re: [CPUISOL] CPU
 isolation extensions]

Paul Jackson wrote:
> Max K wrote:
>>>     And for another thing, we already declare externs in cpumask.h for
>>>     the other, more widely used, cpu_*_map variables cpu_possible_map,
>>>     cpu_online_map, and cpu_present_map.
>> Well, to address #2 and #3 isolated map will need to be exported as well.
>> Those other maps do not really have much to do with the scheduler code.
>> That's why I think either kernel/cpumask.c or kernel/cpu.c is a better place for them.
>
> Well, if you have need it to be exported for #2 or #3, then that's ok
> by me - export it.
>
> I'm unaware of any kernel/cpumask.c.  If you meant lib/cpumask.c, then
> I'd prefer you not put it there, as lib/cpumask.c just contains the
> implementation details of the abstract data type cpumask_t, not any of
> its uses.  If you mean kernel/cpuset.c, then that's not a good choice
> either, as that just contains the implementation details of the cpuset
> subsystem.  You should usually define such things in one of the files
> using it, and unless there is clearly a -better- place to move the
> definition, it's usually better to just leave it where it is.

I was thinking of creating the new file kernel/cpumask.c. But it probably does not make sense
just for the masks. I'm now thinking kernel/cpu.c is the best place for it. It contains all
the cpu hotplug logic that deals with those maps at the very top it has stuff like

/* Serializes the updates to cpu_online_map, cpu_present_map */
static DEFINE_MUTEX(cpu_add_remove_lock);

So it seems to make sense to keep the maps in there.

Max