Date:	Tue, 5 Feb 2008 21:06:27 -0500
From:	Michael Pyne <mpyne@...inchu.net>
To:	Ayaz Abdulla <aabdulla@...dia.com>
Cc:	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, michael.pyne@...mail.net,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [patch 2/4] forcedeth: fix MAC address detection on network card (regression in 2.6.23)

On Monday 04 February 2008, Ayaz Abdulla wrote:
> Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > Ayaz Abdulla wrote:
> >> I believe Michael determined that a newer BIOS fixes this issue.
> >
> > That's a solution that makes vendors happy... but we still have to deal
> > with it in Linux.  There are plenty of the old broken BIOS still out in
> > the field...
> >
> >     Jeff
>
> Michael, can you provide which BIOS version had this issue and which
> version fixed the issue?

Ayaz,

One of my earlier messages to the list was from BIOS revision F3 from what I
can tell (which matches pretty well with what I remember having).  I am
currently on F8.

I may go back to F3 if I can get booting from USB to work just to verify
because I could have sworn it was still broken after going to F8.  But since
unpatched Linux 2.6.23.12 apparently works fine and I'm not sure when exactly
that happened (I use Ketchup to maintain the sources and somewhere it
unpatched my forcedeth.c :) I want to double-check that a simple BIOS upgrade
will solve it.

But I also don't have a lot of time before I go underway for a few months. :-/

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne

Download attachment "signature.asc " of type "application/pgp-signature" (190 bytes)