Date:	Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:33:10 -0800
From:	Max Krasnyanskiy <maxk@...lcomm.com>
To:	Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl>
CC:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...sign.ru>,
	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
	Paul Jackson <pj@....com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/4] CPUSET driven CPU isolation

Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 15:38 -0800, Max Krasnyanskiy wrote:
>> Peter Zijlstra wrote:
>>> My vision on the direction we should take wrt cpu isolation.
>> General impressions:
>> - "cpu_system_map" is %100 identical to the "~cpu_isolated_map" as in my
>> patches. It's updated from different place but functionally wise it's very
>> much the same. I guess you did not like the 'isolated' name ;-). As I
>> mentioned before I'm not hung up on the name so it's cool :).
>
> Ah, but you miss that cpu_system_map doesn't do the one thing the
> cpu_isolated_map ever did, prevent sched_domains from forming on those
> cpus.
>
> Which is a major point.
Did you see my reply on how to support "RT balancer" with cpu_isolated_map ?
Anyway, my point was that you could've just told me something like:
    "lets rename cpu_isolated_map and invert it"
That's is it. The gist of the idea is exactly the same. There is a bitmap that
tells various subsystems what cpus can be used for the kernel activities.

>> - Updating cpu_system_map from cpusets
>> There are a couple of things that I do not like about this approach:
>> 1. We lost the ability to isolate CPUs at boot. Which means slower boot times
>> for me (ie before I can start my apps I need to create cpuset, etc). Not a big
>> deal, I can live with it.
>
> I'm sure those few lines in rc.local won't grow your boot time by a
> significant amount of time.
>
> That said, we should look into a replacement for the boot time parameter
> (if only to decide not to do it) because of backward compatibility.
As I said I can live with it.

>> 2. We now need another notification mechanism to propagate the updates to the
>> cpu_system_map. That by itself is not a big deal. The big deal is that now we
>> need to basically audit the kernel and make sure that everything affected must
>> have proper notifier and react to the mask changes.
>> For example your current patch does not move the timers and I do not think it
>> makes sense to go and add notifier for the timers. I think the better approach
>> is to use CPU hotplug here. ie Enforce the rule that cpu_system_map is updated
>>   only when CPU is off-line.
>> By bringing CPU down first we get a lot of features for free. All the kernel
>> threads, timers, softirqs, HW irqs, workqueues, etc are properly
>> terminated/moved/canceled/etc. This gives us a very clean state when we bring
>> the CPU back online with "system" bit cleared (or "isolated" bit set like in
>> my patches). I do not see a good reason for reimplementing that functionality
>> via system_map notifiers.
>
> I'm not convinced cpu hotplug notifiers are the right thing here. Sure
> we could easily iterate the old and new system map and call the matching
> cpu hotplug notifiers, but they seem overly complex to me.
>
> The audit would be a good idea anyway. If we do indeed end up with a 1:1
> mapping of whatever cpu hotplug does, then well, perhaps you're right.
I was not talking about calling notifiers directly. We can literally bring the
CPU down. Just like echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuN/online does.

>> I'll comment more on the individual patches.
>>
>>> Next on the list would be figuring out a nice solution to the workqueue
>>> flush issue.
>> Do not forget the "stop machine", or more specifically module loading/unloading.
>
> No, the full stop machine thing, there are more interesting users than
> module loading. But I'm not too interested in solving this particular
> problem atm, I have too much on my plate as it is.
I was not suggesting that it's up to you to solve it. You made it sounds like
your patches provide complete solution, just need to fix the workqueues. I was
merely pointing out that there is also stop machine that needs fixing.

btw You did not comment about the fact that your patch does not move timers.
I was trying it out last night. It's definitely not ready yet.

Max