Date:	Tue, 13 May 2008 12:36:19 -0400
From:	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>
To:	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>
CC:	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, corbet@....net,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Tracking and crediting bug reporters

Alan Cox wrote:
>> Those would just default to not being credited. Where is the problem?
>
> We need to be sure that people understand that when submitting patches
> they must not put Discovered-by: lines in without asking. This is
> essentially a documentation matter which is why I directed the original
> reply to Jonathan.

I tend to put the credit in the patch description text, /without/ an
email address by default, since I don't feel as comfortable stamping
users' email addresses into the kernel changelog without their
permission, and (I'm lazy) asking permission is another email
round-trip.  So my format is

	blah blah blah patch description blah blah blah
	blah blah blah patch description blah blah blah
	blah blah blah patch description blah blah blah

	Bug found by Lucifer Smith.

	Signed-off-by: Tejun <tejun@...ething.com>
	Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <me@...ethingelse.com>

Regards,