Date:	Wed, 28 May 2008 15:05:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:	Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@...idpixels.com>
To:	Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld@...ug.dk>
cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-raid@...r.kernel.org,
	xfs@....sgi.com
Subject: Re: Performance Characteristics of All Linux RAIDs
 (mdadm/bonnie++)

On Wed, 28 May 2008, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:

> I added this in the wiki performance section.
Ok.

> I think it would have been informative if also a test with one drive in
> a non-raid setup was described.
Since the performance of bonnie++ deals with single threads/a raid1 would probably closely match it but yeah I could do that sometime.

> Are there any particular findings you want to highlight?
Not in particular, just I could never find this information provided anywhere
that showed all of the raid variation/types in one location that was easy to
read.

> Is there some way to estimate random read and writes from this test?
The sequential input and output and re-write speeds are the most important.

> Are the XFS file systems completely new when running the tests?
Yes, after the creation of each array, mkfs.xfs -f /dev/md3 was run to ensure
a clean mount and cron was also off throughout all testing.