Date:	Fri, 01 Aug 2008 17:11:54 +0100
From:	Alan Jenkins <alan-jenkins@...fmail.co.uk>
To:	Jiri Slaby <jirislaby@...il.com>
CC:	Bob Copeland <me@...copeland.com>, tomasw@...il.com,
	Dave Young <hidave.darkstar@...il.com>, stable@...nel.org,
	linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linville@...driver.com, Pekka Enberg <penberg@...helsinki.fi>,
	ath5k-devel@...ema.h4ckr.net, johannes@...solutions.net,
Subject: Re: git-describe [Was: ath5k_config_interface deadlock fix]

Jiri Slaby wrote:
> Alan Jenkins napsal(a):
>> There must be a better way (for efficient merges, right?).  But all I
>> can think of is comparing the files in question against the diff.  I
>> checked myself and the changes don't appear to have been included in
>> v2.6.26.
>
> Ah, I see. Is this a git-describe bug or my misunderstanding of the tool?

It's not an implementation bug.  It's just very easy to misunderstand.

git-describe only looks _back_ in time to what the current commit is
based on.  In this case the commit was based on v2.6.26-rc8 - but it
_wasn't_ merged into 2.6.26.  It was presumably merged in for
v2.6.27-rc1.  This is a perfectly legal history in GIT.

It's probably most often encountered during git-bisect.  If you bisect
e.g. between v2.6.26 and v.2.6.27-rc1, you're likely to see commits
which were based on v2.6.26-rc8.

If that doesn't help, try finding an introduction to GIT with some good
pictures.  I think it's easier to understand it visually.

Alan