Date:	Sat, 9 Aug 2008 23:19:42 +0200
From:	Frans Pop <elendil@...net.nl>
To:	Rene Herman <rene.herman@...access.nl>
Cc:	adaplas@...il.com, mingo@...e.hu, akpm@...l.org,
	linux-fbdev-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Framebuffer drivers that break the boot on systemswithout the hardware

Rene Herman wrote:
> Ingo Molnar posted a list of drivers he found to break the boot during
> testing of randconfig kernels and among them are a number of FB drivers:
>
> FB_VESA

This one is set to "y" in the kernel configs for the generic Debian
kernels for i386 and x86_64 and is used by default for the graphical
version of the Debian Installer, so I'd be very surprised if it broke
very many systems...
AFAIK it is only actually enabled if the 'vga=' boot parameter is passed.

Ingo's mail also lists FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE which again is set to "y" in
Debian's standard kernel configs for x86 (and probably most other
arches).

> (and FB_VIRTUAL)

This one should be fixed with 2.6.27-rc1. The commit that fixes it is:
  commit b604838ac6d233fd6bffc0e758a818133a01ff22