Date:	Wed, 13 Aug 2008 12:20:29 -0400
From:	"J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@...ldses.org>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	Al Viro <viro@...IV.linux.org.uk>,
	OGAWA Hirofumi <hirofumi@...l.parknet.co.jp>,
	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] readdir mess

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 03:04:05PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Al Viro wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 02:24:04PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > >
> > > You'd truncate the inode number. What's the big deal? Inode numbers aren't
> > > that important - they're just about the _least_ important part of the data
> > > returned for a readdir.
> >
> > Tell that to tar(1) ;-)
>
> The thing is, you still have the low 32 (or 16) bits, so even tar is
> better off most of the time.
>
> Let's face it, we actually always truncate things as-is. What are inode
> numbers on NFS but truncated file handles?

The server returns the inode number to the client as part of the file
attributes, and that's what the client reports as the inode number.  So,
no, the client doesn't try to fake up an inode number by truncating or
hashing the filehandle somehow, if that's what you mean.  Maybe I'm
missing your point....

--b.