Date:	Wed, 17 Sep 2008 23:29:32 +0100
From:	Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@...oo.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	peterz@...radead.org
Subject:  Re: How how latent should non-preemptive scheduling be?

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 22:48:55 +0100
> Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@...oo.com> wrote:
>
>> Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>>> this says you haven't done "make install" on the latencytop
>>> directory so it's not translating things for you.. can you do that
>>> please?
>>> Cause                                                Maximum
>>>
> Percentage
>
> Scheduler: waiting for cpu                        208 msec         59.4 %
>

> you're rather CPU bound, and your process was woken up but didn't run for over 200 milliseconds..
> that sounds like a scheduler fairness issue!

I'm at a bit of a loss to explain this. I'm not using the group
scheduler and the load average is less than 0.4. CPU usage does seem to
spike a fair bit (I'm not sure why rhythmbox needs 50%+ for decoding
oggs from time to time) but there always seems to be 20% CPU free...

I don't know where to start debugging this one and I'm suspicious of the
way the problem would happen every 30 seconds too... (this laptop is
using ath5k for its wifi)