Date:	Sat, 4 Oct 2008 09:31:43 -0600
From:	Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas@...com>
To:	"Kay Sievers" <kay.sievers@...y.org>
Cc:	ambx1@....rr.com, elendil@...net.nl, trenn@...e.de,
	akpm@...ux-foundation.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	tpm@...horst.net, rjw@...k.pl, greg@...ah.com
Subject: Re: char/tpm: tpm_infineon no longer loaded for HP 2510p laptop

On Saturday 04 October 2008 6:09:38 am Kay Sievers wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 12:01 AM, Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas@...com> wrote:
> >>
> >> They do create events, but without modalias. The shell script hack,
> >> which udev runs, will make the event behave like it contained one.
> >
> > I'm finally looking at this again; sorry for the long hiatus.  I'm
> > working on a patch to add PNP uevent support, modalias sysfs files
> > for PNP, and file2alias.c changes to match, and I just want to
> > make sure I'm understanding this correctly.
>
> Sounds good, just in mind, that there are custom modprobe configs out
> there, that rely on the current pnp alias format, like:
>   alias pnp:dPNP0510 irtty-sir
>   alias pnp:dPNP0511 irtty-sir
>   alias pnp:dPNP0700 floppy
>   alias pnp:dPNP0303 atkbd
>   alias pnp:dPNP0f13 psmouse
> We should make sure, that this still works, which wouldn't if we just
> do the acpi style aliases.

My thought is to make PNP emit uevents with modaliases like
"MODALIAS=pnp:PNP0501:PNP0500:" and make file2alias generate
aliases like "alias pnp*:PNP0500:* 8250_pnp".

Modprobe configs like "alias pnp:dPNP0510 irtty-sir" would
still work but would continue to depend on the udev shell hack.

If we just move the udev shell hack to the isapnp package, those
"alias pnp:dPNP0510 irtty-sir" configs would then depend on isapnp,
which doesn't seem like quite what we want.  We can certainly have
PNP0510 ACPI devices that don't depend on isapnp.

All I want to do now is *enable* more conventional configs like
"alias pnp*:PNP0510:* irtty-sir" to work without extra hacks.
I don't have any plan for actually removing the hacks or doing
any user-space transition.