Date:	Mon, 13 Oct 2008 15:37:05 +0300
From:	Adrian Bunk <bunk@...nel.org>
To:	Américo Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>
Cc:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	stable@...nel.org
Subject: Re: Linux 2.6.27 will be a longtime supported kernel

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 12:27:01PM +0100, Américo Wang wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 12:03:40AM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >2.6.16 has become a bit dated, and I'll maintain 2.6.27 for a few years
> >as a replacement.
> >
> >As with 2.6.16, I'll pickup maintainance when the normal -stable
> >maintainance ends (at some point after 2.6.28 gets released in January).
> >
> >It is intended to fill the niche for users who are not using
> >distribution kernels but want to use a regression-free kernel for a
> >longer time. It might be a small part of the userbase, but after the
> >experiences with 2.6.16 I can say that there are quite a few users
> >who appreciate such an offering.
> >
> >As people might have noted I wasn't able to do much kernel stuff
> >recently, and 2.6.16 also suffered from this. I'll bring 2.6.16 back
> >into shape and keep it maintained until at least mid-2009.
>
> Thanks for your work.
>
> I am just wondering why you only selected .16 and .27, not others?
> Are there some specical reasons why you did this?

If the question is why it isn't .26 or .28:

I'm checking whether my computer works fine with a kernel, and also
very slightly what distributions might use a kernel, but in the end
it's pretty random.

If the question is about the big gap between them:

I don't want to maintain 10 kernels at once, and also for getting fixes
from other kernel developers it's better when I don't do this for too
many kernels.

> Thank you.

cu
Adrian