Date:	Thu, 23 Oct 2008 10:17:15 +0100
From:	Alistair John Strachan <alistair@...zero.co.uk>
To:	Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@...-lyon.org>
Cc:	Robert Moss <robert.von.moss@...il.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Framebuffer issues in 2.6.26 with uvesafb and vesafb. Linux is about choice!

On Thursday 23 October 2008 09:04:59 Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Robert Moss, le Thu 23 Oct 2008 00:54:56 -0700, a écrit :
> > Anyhow, I noticed that vesafb is no longer a part of the kernel.
>
> That's not true. It works nicely on my laptop (though I don't get
> the native 1280x800 resolution).
>
> > vga=791 still gave a mode not found.
>
> Then that's a bug, which is a completely different thing. Could you
> check that the output of vga=ask and typing scan at the boot prompt is
> the same between 2.6.24 and 2.6.25/26 ?

It simply isn't true that the vesafb driver has been removed or disabled. Nor
is it true that the vga= video mode selection has been removed or is broken.

I've been using vga=791, too, for years, and on 2.6.26 and 2.6.27 it continues
to work as it always did.

The OP needs to post his config before creating a fuss about removed features
and "lack of choice". From what I can see, such statements simply aren't true.

At worst there is a bug here on one particular system that needs to be fixed.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.