Date:	Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:34:42 +0200
From:	Mathieu Taillefumier <mathieu.taillefumier@...e.fr>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [Bug] pci allocation resources problems on x86_64

Hi

Sorry, the first files iomem and ioports are not the right one (I used
the mem option to check if it has any effects). Please find the right
one in attachments. Sorry again for this mistake.

regards

Mathieu
> Hi,
>
> The kernel does not seems to allocate the pci resources correctly on
> sony laptop (VGN-SZ71 series) when pcmcia slot is used.
>
> I track down this bug for long now and I was able to identify where it
> is probably coming from. The laptop I am using possess a pcmcia card
> slot  that I am using for a tvcard. The kernel is a x86_64 bits kernel
> (2.6.27.2) and the laptop has 4G of memory. In this case the
> initialization of the tv-card is pure garbage and the kernel oops
> after that. Now if I start the laptop with 2G and the same kernel then
> everything works fine. From that I can assume that the problem does
> not come from the tvcard driver and maybe not from the pcmcia driver
> (although I am not completely sure). After discussing on the dvb
> mailling list we arrive to the conclusion that the problem is probably
> coming from pci allocation ressources.
>
> additional informations :
>
> Configurations that work
>
> - x86_64 kernels with 2G of memory
> - x86 kernels with 4G of memory without PAE activated nor 64 bits
> resources allocations option activated.
>
> Config that do not work
>
> - x86_64 kernels with 4G of memory
> - x86 kernels with 4G of memory with 64bits resources allocation
> activated (without PAE).
>
> The problem can be reproduced with kernel-next and the kernel-git so
> far and probably with earlier kernels although I have try this
>
> cat /proc/version
> Linux version 2.6.27.2-intel-nogem (root@...site) (gcc version 4.3.1
> (GCC) ) #4 SMP Wed Oct 22 12:05:55 CEST 2008
> the lspci output are in one of the files and different dmesg are
> included. the dmesg-diff give the differences between the working one
> and the buggy one.
>
> I would like to help debugging this
>
> Regards
>
> Mathieu

Download attachment "iomem.gz" of type "application/gzip" (594 bytes)

Download attachment "ioports.gz" of type "application/gzip" (602 bytes)