Date:	Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:13:56 +0200
From:	Mathieu Taillefumier <mathieu.taillefumier@...e.fr>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: [Bug] pci allocation resources problems on x86_64

Hi,

The kernel does not seems to allocate the pci resources correctly on
sony laptop (VGN-SZ71 series) when pcmcia slot is used.

I track down this bug for long now and I was able to identify where it
is probably coming from. The laptop I am using possess a pcmcia card
slot  that I am using for a tvcard. The kernel is a x86_64 bits kernel
(2.6.27.2) and the laptop has 4G of memory. In this case the
initialization of the tv-card is pure garbage and the kernel oops after
that. Now if I start the laptop with 2G and the same kernel then
everything works fine. From that I can assume that the problem does not
come from the tvcard driver and maybe not from the pcmcia driver
(although I am not completely sure). After discussing on the dvb
mailling list we arrive to the conclusion that the problem is probably
coming from pci allocation ressources.

additional informations :

Configurations that work

- x86_64 kernels with 2G of memory
- x86 kernels with 4G of memory without PAE activated nor 64 bits
resources allocations option activated.

Config that do not work

- x86_64 kernels with 4G of memory
- x86 kernels with 4G of memory with 64bits resources allocation
activated (without PAE).

The problem can be reproduced with kernel-next and the kernel-git so far
and probably with earlier kernels although I have try this

cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.27.2-intel-nogem (root@...site) (gcc version 4.3.1
(GCC) ) #4 SMP Wed Oct 22 12:05:55 CEST 2008
the lspci output are in one of the files and different dmesg are
included. the dmesg-diff give the differences between the working one
and the buggy one.

I would like to help debugging this

Regards

Mathieu

Download attachment "dmesg-64-doesnotwork.bz2" of type "application/octet-stream" (11657 bytes)

Download attachment "dmesg-64-work.bz2" of type "application/octet-stream" (10505 bytes)

Download attachment "dmesg-diff.bz2" of type "application/octet-stream" (11280 bytes)

Download attachment "config.gz" of type "application/gzip" (11605 bytes)

Download attachment "lspci.output.gz" of type "application/gzip" (3806 bytes)

Download attachment "cpuinfo.gz" of type "application/gzip" (501 bytes)

Download attachment "iomem.gz" of type "application/gzip" (583 bytes)

Download attachment "ioports.gz" of type "application/gzip" (609 bytes)