Date:	Tue, 9 Dec 2008 08:37:10 +0100
From:	"Giangiacomo Mariotti" <gg.mariotti@...il.com>
To:	"Mikael Abrahamsson" <swmike@....pp.se>
Cc:	"Andi Kleen" <ak@...ux.intel.com>,
	"Hidetoshi Seto" <seto.hidetoshi@...fujitsu.com>,
	"Arjan van de Ven" <arjan@...radead.org>,
	"Robert Hancock" <hancockr@...w.ca>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: OFFLIST Re: [HW PROBLEM] Intel I7 MCE. Erratum or not?

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 8:01 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@....pp.se> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Giangiacomo Mariotti wrote:
>
>> If it's not too much of a burden for you, could you please try the distro
>> named SystemRescueCd(www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page)? I tried the stable
>> release SystemRescueCd-x86-1.1.3, at boot just type rescue64 to boot in
>> 64bit mode(F2 tells you this). Notice that this distro will give you just a
>> shell after boot.
>
> Oki, I booted their 2.6.27.07-std113-amd64 kernel. According to messages log
> it booted at 07:28:10 (first entry).
>
> At 07:32:28 there is a log entry in dmesg and messages that says "Machine
> check events logged", so this seems to verify Giangiacomos problem. I did
> this twice, got the same error twice (second time booted at 07:49:10, got
> the error at 07:53:31).
>
> I do not get this message on their regular i386 kernel, tried once.
>
> mcelog is not installed on this rescue-cd and it didn't seem to have portage
> (I'm mostly a debian/ubuntu person with history of slackware and redhat) so
> I couldn't install it either.
>
> --
> Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@....pp.se

In its i386 version the mce didn't get logged for me too, but I
noticed something like an option for non critical MCEs wasn't
configured in the i386 kernel. That might be the cause, or it's just a
problem for the 64 bit version. Anyway, as I've already posted here
lkml.org/lkml/2008/12/9/4, rebooting with a kexec completely removes
the MCE, so I guess it's a bios problem.

I'm resending this just to put it back on the mailing list.