Date:	Sun, 22 Feb 2009 10:42:05 +0100
From:	Alessandro Zummo <alessandro.zummo@...ertech.it>
To:	Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@....linux.org.uk>
Cc:	Jean Delvare <khali@...ux-fr.org>,
	Wolfram Sang <w.sang@...gutronix.de>,
	Juergen Beisert <j.beisert@...gutronix.de>,
	Ben Dooks <ben-linux-arm@...ff.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Fwd: PCF8583 not detected on RiscPC

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 08:28:29 +0000
Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@....linux.org.uk> wrote:

> So, really, I'm not listening to NACKs from anyone for this.  The only
> thing I'll listen to is something _constructive_ to make it work again.
> I'm sure Andrew Morton will back me up on this.

 You never listened to anyone, as far as I can remember. The constructive
 part was where I said I'd be happy to give help.

> Now, we can either totally reorganize i2c-acorn, but that won't be
> acceptable for 2.6.29-rc.

  i2c-acorn is just fine as is, while you might want to change
 it to a platform driver at a later time.

> The problem is that this *is* a regression, and therefore must be fixed
> in 2.6.29-rc.  As I see it, the only sane way to do that is to revert
> the conversion until a proper fix can be done.
>
> So, please provide constructive suggestions on how to add boardinfo to
> this in a sane way, or we revert PCF8583 back to something which works.

  That's very simple, even if acorn is a bit unstructured. You just
 need to choice a place under arch/arm that you like
 (arch/arm/plat-acorn/ ? ) and place a bit of code called
 by an appropriate initcall.

  There you write something like that, changing
 the values to match your rtc name and i2c address:

static struct i2c_board_info __initdata nslu2_i2c_board_info [] = {
        {
                I2C_BOARD_INFO("x1205", 0x6f),
        },
};

   i2c_register_board_info(0, nslu2_i2c_board_info,
                                ARRAY_SIZE(nslu2_i2c_board_info));

 Unless I missed something that should be all you need.

--

 Best regards,

 Alessandro Zummo,
  Tower Technologies - Torino, Italy