Date:	Mon, 2 Mar 2009 14:00:14 -0800
From:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Mike Murphy <mamurph@...clemson.edu>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-input@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-usb@...r.kernel.org, greg@...ah.com, oliver@...kum.org,
	fweisbec@...il.com, torvalds@...ux-foundation.org
Subject: Re: PATCH [1/3] drivers/input/xpad.c: Improve Xbox 360 wireless
 support and add sysfs interface

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 16:46:01 -0500
Mike Murphy <mamurph@...clemson.edu> wrote:

> I had looked up another driver that used a header file in the stable
> tree

Yup, there's lots of crappy code in the tree, and it is regrettable
that maintainers continue to go ahead and merge that crappy code.

There's no easy fix for this - you need to be aware of what is right
and what is wrong, but you cannot look at existing code to determine
this :(

If the code which you're modifying is known (by you) to be wrong then
there are two schools of thought.  Some people do like to "match the
existing code".  I disagree with that.  The code's wrong dammit - we
might as well make the new code "right".  If that results in
inconsistent-looking code, well, so be it.  We shouldn't have merged
the wrong code in the first place.