Date:	Fri, 6 Mar 2009 01:17:39 +0100
From:	Michael Büker <m.bueker@...lin.de>
To:	Francois Romieu <romieu@...zoreil.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 2.6.27.19 + 28.7: network timeouts for r8169 and 8139too

On Wednesday 04 March 2009, you wrote:
> The kernel displays a scary warning, I can guess that it is almost surely
> associated with some loss of network connectivity for a few seconds at the
> very least but it is a bit hard to figure the real scale of your problem.

I'll try to be more precise :)

I can readily reproduce the symptoms by initiating the scp transfer of a large
file. The transfer will stall somewhere between ~2MB and ~50MB of data
transferred. After that, the results differ for the two network cards:
With the r8169 card, the transfer never recovers, but after ~1min to ~2min,
there is a "link up" message in dmesg and the network will be back up.
With the 8139too card, the stall will be no longer than ~30sec and the
transfer will resume. There is also a "link up" message upon the network's
resurrection.

I have been able to verify that this problem does _not_ occur when using the
same network (and target server) through my wireless USB adapter. The average
speed this way is lower, however - ~690kb/s as opposed to ~1.8MB/s over the
wire (the reason this is so much lower than the physical limit for both types
of connections probably lies in the fact that we're dealing with a pentium2
that has to do ssl encryption on the fly).

The two dmesg files I have attached contain the log of the following actions:
1. Booting with the respective card inserted
2. Initializing the file transfer
3. Abort the transfer after it's been dead for ~10sec
4. Wait for the network to come back up

The two attached lspci outputs were recorded with the two cards inserted
respectively.

> Can you identify a kernel which worked flawlessly ?

I'm quite sure I did not experience this problem with the last kernel I ran,
which was 2.6.25.15.

Hope to help!
Michael

--
I came for the quality, but I stayed for the freedom.
- Sean Neakums

View attachment "dmesg_8139too" of type "text/plain" (18296 bytes)

View attachment "dmesg_r8169" of type "text/plain" (17356 bytes)

View attachment "lspci_8139too" of type "text/plain" (6403 bytes)

View attachment "lspci_r8169" of type "text/plain" (6482 bytes)