Date:	Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:33:51 -0600
From:	Robert Hancock <hancockrwd@...il.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject:  Re: read-only partitions: does the policy apply to all metadata ?

porte64@...e.fr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When a partition is mounted as read-only, does the kernel
> really prevent ANY byte to be written to it, including
> any metadata ?
>
> (i am thinking here about file attributes -- last access time,
> as well as meta information about filesystem/blocks
> description etc ...).

As far as I know any of the visible attributes (last access, etc.)
cannot be modified. However, mounting read-only may still write to the
filesystem if the block device is writable, for example with ext3/ext4
if the file system was not unmounted cleanly last time and the journal
needs to be replayed.

> And is the policy implemented in every filesystem type driver
> or at some abstraction level (as if the write() and like
> system calls were designed to return an error).
>
> Unfortunately, on common (all?) hard drives, there seems
> to be no switch to set the device microcode in read-only
> mode.
>
> By the way, this makes me also thing about memory cards
> with locks: is it a real protection or it is just a setting
> which tells the kernel that it *SHOULD* mount the device
> read-only ?

Normally the card reader indicates to the OS that the device is
read-only, and then the kernel will mount it only read-only. However,
note that some crappy SD card readers don't implement the write protect
switch detection and will allow writing to a card marked read-only.