Date:	Thu, 12 Mar 2009 07:51:26 +0100
From:	Frans Pop <elendil@...net.nl>
To:	john stultz <johnstul@...ibm.com>
Cc:	linux-s390@...r.kernel.org, Roman Zippel <zippel@...ux-m68k.org>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
Subject: Re: [BUG,2.6.28,s390] Fails to boot in Hercules S/390 emulator

On Thursday 12 March 2009, John Stultz wrote:
> * Reverting both 6c9bacb41c10 and 5cd1c9c5cf30 against 2.6-git did not
> seem to help the issue, as originally reported. I also reverted
> 49b5cf34727a as well just in case, and it didn't help either.

Hmm, interesting. I think you may have reproduced a similar failure case,
but not exactly the same as mine. I wonder if what you have reproduced is
the same as Debian bug report http://bugs.debian.org/511334. That is with
2.6.26 which would match the fact that the reverts that work reliably for
me did not work for you. I've never had any problems with Debian's 2.6.26
in my configuration.

For me 2.6.28.7 is rock solid with the two reverts. I've attached my
kernel config and my Hercules config. I think the critical thing in my
config may be the "TIMERINT 500" setting for Hercules, which is somewhat
similar to your "goes away if HZ is anything except 250" observation.

> That's about all I can get for today. I'm out of town until Monday, so
> I'll start digging back into it then.

From your other replies I've seen that I have been way off track at some
points. It looks as if I have been looking at events too early in the
boot and been confused by the use of clock->xtime_nsec. My apologies for
any confusion caused by that.

I have a few more tests I think I can usefully do, but will try harder not
to confuse the issue with my inexpert ramblings anymore :-P
My main problem in trying to nail this down has been that any printks that
are added tend to flood the system to such an extend that you cannot
actually observe anything.

Thanks a lot for your replies and work on this.

View attachment "hercules.cnf" of type "text/plain" (759 bytes)

View attachment "config" of type "text/plain" (26807 bytes)