Date:	Sun, 3 May 2009 11:09:08 +0200
From:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
To:	Jaswinder Singh Rajput <jaswinder@...nel.org>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>
Cc:	x86 maintainers <x86@...nel.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>
Subject: Re: [git-pull -tip] x86: cpu_debug patches

* Jaswinder Singh Rajput <jaswinder@...nel.org> wrote:

> We can use cpu_has tests for unknown processors but 'cpu model' is
> accurate and cover all range.
>
> cpu_has does not cover following registers:
> 1. platform
> 2. poweron
> 3. control
> 4. bios
> 5. freq
> 6. cache
> 7. misc
> 8. base
> 9. ver
> 10. conf

Firstly these should be added to cpufeatures.h.

Then add cpu_has_xxx() accessors need to be added for them and
during CPU init they have to be properly set, via two methods:

 - via CPUID (where this is possible+specified in docs)
 - or via "later than CPU version X" checks

Your cpu-model table is equivalent to an explicitly enumerated CPU
version check, but this breaks every time a new CPU comes out.

"Later than" or CPUID based feature bits are a lot more future-proof
- we only have to add support for new _features_ (and quirks,
occasionally), and dont have to maintain that full table of specific
models to specific features mapping tables.

	Ingo