Date:	Mon, 24 Aug 2009 15:44:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:	David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>
To:	Dave Hansen <dave@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
cc:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [patch 3/4 -mm] flex_array: poison free elements

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009, Dave Hansen wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 13:41 -0700, David Rientjes wrote:
> > On the other hand, I'd have no problem trying to eliminate
> > fa->total_nr_elements (since we already have fa->element_size) since we
> > can calculate it in real-time; the only problem is being able to
> > distinguish when the elements are being stored in struct flex_array vs.
> > being stored in struct flex_array_part.
>
> Yeah, that's the only reason it's there: to determine if we're using the
> compact form or not.  We could probably find another place to store
> that, or just store a flag telling whether we're using that form or not.
> We couldn't do the bounds-checking, but I'm OK with that.

I'm starting to think that maybe an `unsigned int flags' is eventually
going to need to be added anyway: one reason is to serve this purpose of
identifying arrays that are stored in the base structure.  Another
possible reason is to identify flex arrays that want the poison behavior
to identify use-uninitialized and use-after-free and would be passed such
as flex_array_alloc(size, total, FLEX_ARRAY_POISON, gfp) to isolate arrays
that may, as you said, store elements of types other than void * or those
significantly small enough that they would collide with the poison values
at a higher probability.