Date:	Sun, 04 Oct 2009 16:14:44 +0400
From:	Michael Tokarev <mjt@....msk.ru>
To:	Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@...il.com>
CC:	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>,
	Kernel Testers List <kernel-testers@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [Bug #14270] Cannot boot on a PIII Celeron

Michael Tokarev wrote:
> Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:

>>> And that was the problem.  After switching from LZMA
>>> to BZIP2 kernel boots again.
>>>
>>> Dunno if it can be treated as a regression, but it's
>>> definitely a bug.
>>
>> thanks for tracking it down Michael!
>> Rafael, who is responsible for LZMA now?
>> Cc him please.
>
> Please hold on for a while.
>
> I switched to BZIP2, it booted fine.  I switched back to LZMA -
> and that one now boots too.  Original bzImage, which were built
> by the same compiler from the same source using the same
> options reboots.
>
> So um... I'm now trying to reproduce it ;)

I performed about 20 kernel recompiles, and finally have some "statistics".
The problem is almost reproduceable, in a sense that I was able to get 6
more cases behaving the same way (rebooting right at early boot on a cel).
And all 3 "non-working" cases were with ccache.  Ie, about half out of ~25
compiles done with ccache, and 7 of the resulting kernels are buggy.  No
single failure without ccache so far.

Maybe it's some stale .o file cached by ccache (and it indeed looks like
that) -- I didn't try to remove the cache yet (but my guess is that I
wont be able to reproduce the issue with clean cache anymore).

What puzzles me most is the "failure mode".  The difference between the
two processors is minimal.  Having a corrupt .o file and almost-working
kernel is almost impossible by its own.  And hitting this difference with
a corrupt .o file is.. unbelievable.

So I'm declaring it's a false alarm for now, and closing the bug.

/mjt