Date:	Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:16:30 +0100
From:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
To:	Nick Piggin <npiggin@...e.de>
Cc:	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	Mike Galbraith <efault@....de>,
Subject: Re: newidle balancing in NUMA domain?

* Nick Piggin <npiggin@...e.de> wrote:

> > > It's a bad regression though.
> >
> > It's about 3 months too late for that. Ideally we want performance
>
> Too late for what?  Reporting and reverting a regression?

Yes, the revert would be too intrusive so late in the release cycle,
sorry. For such types of scheduler reverts we rarely go beyond -rc5 -
the risks of breaking something are too big.

Note that we have queued up a fix for that about two weeks ago for
v2.6.33 - that fix could be forwarded to stable@...nel.org for 2.6.32.1
merging.

> [...] I don't think so. It is not my problem if patches aren't tested
> well enough before being merged.

There's certainly a wide performance testing being done for scheduler
relevant workloads all the time. If you dont like the end result you are
welcome to help out testing and fixing things (and certainly both).

I'd also welcome help from you to extend 'perf bench sched' with new
testcases. (it has only two so far - the tool just got started so
there's lots of low hanging fruits.) 'perf bench sched numa-cost' would
certainly be usefulful to have.

Thanks,

	Ingo