Date:	Sat, 05 Dec 2009 23:44:55 +0000
From:	Darren Salt <linux@...mustbejoking.demon.co.uk>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	jbarnes@...tuousgeek.org, intel-gfx@...ts.freedesktop.org,
	luto@...ealbox.com, benisty.e@...il.com
Subject: Re: 2.6.31 -> 2.6.32 Sound and video regressions

I demand that Andy Lutomirski may or may not have written...

> Emmanuel Benisty wrote:
[snip]
>> I just wanted to report 2 regressions I am having now with 2.6.32.
>> Video
>> Screen is flickering/glitching like crazy in X. It happens whether
>> randomly or when conky is refreshed, when the mouse cursor moves and
>> like hell when a page is loading in the browser. Not so easy to
>> describe this issue.
[snip]

> That sounds like FIFO underruns, which (I think) were introduced when
> self-refresh was enabled but should have been fixed. I personally have no
> clue how to fix them, but if you told the Intel people what kind of chip
> you have (lspci output), they can probably fix it.

It also sounds like what I'm seeing on my EeePC 901. It only happens after
resume, which makes STR a little less than useful; the display will, sooner
or later, show a single colour (which is, presumably, the result of a display
engine hang, as described in the comment immediately before
intel_calculate_wm) and, seemingly, be stuck like that until power-off or
reboot.

Whether it *is* the same problem, I couldn't say.

Needless to say, this problem goes away if I disable KMS.

--
| Darren Salt            | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds    ,demon,co,uk    | Northumberland | Army
| + http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/ & http://tlasd.wordpress.com/

Dumb luck beats sound planning every time. Trust me.