Date:	Sat, 19 Dec 2009 23:46:56 -0500
From:	Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	Christoph Lameter <cl@...ux-foundation.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject:  Re: BFS v0.311 CPU scheduler for 2.6.32

Con Kolivas wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 02:12:58 Christoph Lameter wrote:
>>> It's not a bad idea, but the kernel still needs to be patched either way.
>>> To get BFS they'd need to patch the kernel. If they didn't want BFS, they
>>> wouldn't patch it in the first place.
>> BFS would have a chance to be merged as an alternate scheduler for
>> specialized situations (such as embedded or desktop use).
>>

> Nice idea, but regardless of who else might want that, the mainline
> maintainers have already made it clear they do not.

Since your work is going in as a patch anyway, who is it that cares? The point
is that I have one source which I compile with multiple config files, rather
than multiple sources I get to patch with selected embellishments from -mm and
-next and other places.

It would be great if the system could boot and run on a doorknob scheduler long
enough to load a scheduling modules at boot time. But that's a second level gain
to having a single source and compiling the hell out of it.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>