Date:	Mon, 21 Dec 2009 10:32:48 +0100
From:	Tim Blechmann <tim@...ngt.org>
To:	Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, stern@...land.harvard.edu,
	x86@...nel.org
Subject: Re: 2.6.32 regression: unable to handle kernel paging request

>>> Looks like some necessary part of module image ends up in discarded
>>> sections.  Before the commit, the build process kept those sections so
>>> it worked.  The code has been there for some time now and you're the
>>> first one to report it, so I suppose your .config is a bit different
>>> from more usual ones.  Can you please attach it?
>>
>> it is not too different ... it is based on the .config file of the
>> ubuntu kernel with a few tweaks ...
>> one odd thing is, that i once was able to boot 2.6.32-rcX kernels, at
>> one point, i kept getting these bug messages ... i didn't (knowingly)
>> change the configuration, though ...
>
> Hmmm... weirdly I can't reproduce the problem here with the same
> config.  Can you please attach "readelf -a lp.ko" with and without the
> module-common.lds struck out?

as i said before, the configuration is not really uncommon ... the
readelf output is attached.

hth, tim

--
tim@...ngt.org
http://tim.klingt.org

Nothing exists until or unless it is observed. An artist is making
something exist by observing it. And his hope for other people is that
they will also make it exist by observing it. I call it 'creative
observation.' Creative viewing.
  William S. Burroughs

View attachment "readelf_bug" of type "text/plain" (35460 bytes)

View attachment "readelf_working" of type "text/plain" (35417 bytes)

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (198 bytes)