Date:	Wed, 23 Dec 2009 17:29:16 +0800 (CST)
From:	fengxiangjun <fengxiangjun@...soft.com>
To:	Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>
Cc:	Robert Hancock <hancockrwd@...il.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-ide@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 2.6.32.2 SATA link detect failed, 2.6.32.1 works fine

Hi,

with this patch, the problem still exists.

ata1.01: XXX debounce start, SStatus=4
ata1.01: XXX debounce done, SStatus=4, DET stable for 520 msecs
ata1.00: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 301)
ata1.01: SATA link down (SStatus 0 Scontrol 300)
VFS; cannot open root device ...

The kernel just panic, and I can't see what's the messege printing before
that.

So, I tried 'console=ttyS0 console=tty1',full dmesg attached。

$ hdparm -I /dev/sda:

/dev/sda:

ATA device, with non-removable media
        Model Number:       WDC WD800JD-60LSA5
        Serial Number:      WD-WCAM9T882872
        Firmware Revision:  10.01E03
Standards:
        Supported: 7 6 5 4
        Likely used: 8
Configuration:
        Logical         max     current
        cylinders       16383   16383
        heads           16      16
        sectors/track   63      63
        --
        CHS current addressable sectors:   16514064
        LBA    user addressable sectors:  156301488
        LBA48  user addressable sectors:  156301488
        device size with M = 1024*1024:       76319 MBytes
        device size with M = 1000*1000:       80026 MBytes (80 GB)
        cache/buffer size  = 8192 KBytes
Capabilities:
        LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
        Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, with device specific
minimum
        R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16  Current = 16
        DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
             Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
        PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
             Cycle time: no flow control=120ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
        Enabled Supported:
           *    SMART feature set
                Security Mode feature set
           *    Power Management feature set
           *    Write cache
           *    Look-ahead
           *    WRITE_BUFFER command
           *    READ_BUFFER command
           *    NOP cmd
           *    DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
           *    48-bit Address feature set
           *    Device Configuration Overlay feature set
           *    Mandatory FLUSH_CACHE
           *    FLUSH_CACHE_EXT
           *    SMART error logging
           *    SMART self-test
           *    General Purpose Logging feature set
           *    SATA-I signaling speed (1.5Gb/s)
           *    SATA-II signaling speed (3.0Gb/s)
           *    Phy event counters
                Device-initiated interface power management
           *    Software settings preservation
           *    SMART Command Transport (SCT) feature set
           *    SCT Long Sector Access (AC1)
           *    SCT LBA Segment Access (AC2)
           *    SCT Error Recovery Control (AC3)
           *    SCT Features Control (AC4)
           *    SCT Data Tables (AC5)
                unknown 206[12] (vendor specific)
Security:
        Master password revision code = 65534
                supported
        not     enabled
        not     locked
                frozen
        not     expired: security count
                supported: enhanced erase
        24min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT. 24min for ENHANCED SECURITY ERASE
UNIT.
Checksum: correct

Thanks.

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009, Tejun Heo wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 12/22/2009 11:02 AM, fengxiangjun wrote:
> > You are right, it's definitely timing related.
> >
> > I just tried capturing the failed booting message through a null modem
> > cable, but the problem goes away! It seems that I can't reproduce it
> > with serial console attached.
>
> Hmmm... this is the second report of probing failure with SIDPR based
> hardreset.  Can you please apply the attached patch and see whether
> the problem is reproducible?  And if so, please attach full boot log.
> Can you please also attach hdparm -I output of the occassionally
> failing drive.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> tejun

is intended only for the use of the intended recipient and may be confidential and/or privileged of
Neusoft Corporation, its subsidiaries and/or its affiliates. If any reader of this communication is
not the intended recipient, unauthorized use, forwarding, printing,  storing, disclosure or copying
immediately notify the sender by return e-mail, and delete the original message and all copies from
your system. Thank you.