Date:	Mon, 18 Jan 2010 14:18:22 +0200
From:	Felix Rubinstein <felixru@...il.com>
To:	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: /dev/mem implementation

The usecase is broadcom 10GbE switch driver which maps DMA memory to userspace.
I can find one more libe1000 which uses char driver to map DMA memory
to userspace too.
So, how can I implement userspace drivers in recent kernels which want
to map DMA memory to userspace if STRICT_DEVMEM or PAT (either of
them) are enabled.

The motivation to implement network drivers is not new and there are
here and there mini projects to bypass Linux networks stack to gain
better latency as stack has lots of locks around, buffer copying
(userspace to kernel and vice versa), etc... which only add latency.

Thanks,
Felix R.