Date:	Thu, 21 Jan 2010 11:57:39 -0800
From:	David Daney <ddaney@...iumnetworks.com>
To:	rostedt@...dmis.org
CC:	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	kernel-janitors <kernel-janitors@...r.kernel.org>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	linux-arch@...r.kernel.org, Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>,
	Andy Whitcroft <apw@...onical.com>,
	Ralf Baechle <ralf@...ux-mips.org>,
	linux-mips <linux-mips@...ux-mips.org>
Subject: Re: Lots of bugs with current->state = TASK_*INTERRUPTIBLE

Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 11:18 -0800, David Daney wrote:
>> Steven Rostedt wrote:
>>> Peter Zijlstra and I were doing a look over of places that assign
>>> current->state = TASK_*INTERRUPTIBLE, by simply looking at places with:
>>>
>>>  $ git grep -A1 'state[[:space:]]*=[[:space:]]*TASK_[^R]'
>>>
>>> and it seems there are quite a few places that looks like bugs. To be on
>>> the safe side, everything outside of a run queue lock that sets the
>>> current state to something other than TASK_RUNNING (or dead) should be
>>> using set_current_state().
>>>
>>> 	current->state = TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE;
>>> 	schedule();
>>>
>>> is probably OK, but it would not hurt to be consistent. Here's a few
>>> examples of likely bugs:
>>>
>> [...]
>>
>> This may be a bit off topic, but exactly which type of barrier should
>> set_current_state() be implying?
>>
>> On MIPS, set_mb() (which is used by set_current_state()) has a full mb().
>>
>> Some MIPS based processors have a much lighter weight wmb().  Could
>> wmb() be used in place of mb() here?
>
> Nope, wmb() is not enough. Below is an explanation.
>
>> If not, an explanation of the required memory ordering semantics here
>> would be appreciated.
>>
>> I know the documentation says:
>>
>>      set_current_state() includes a barrier so that the write of
>>      current->state is correctly serialised wrt the caller's subsequent
>>      test of whether to actually sleep:
>>
>>   	set_current_state(TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE);
>>   	if (do_i_need_to_sleep())
>>   		schedule();
>>

>> Since the current CPU sees the memory accesses in order, what can be
>> happening on other CPUs that would require a full mb()?
>
> Lets look at a hypothetical situation with:
>
> 	add_wait_queue();
> 	current->state = TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE;
> 	smp_wmb();
> 	if (!x)
> 		schedule();
>

> Then somewhere we probably have:
>
> 	x = 1;
> 	smp_wmb();
> 	wake_up(queue);
>

> 	   CPU 0			   CPU 1
> 	------------			-----------
> 	add_wait_queue();
> 	(cpu pipeline sees a load
> 	 of x ahead, and preloads it)

This is what I thought.

My cpu (Cavium Octeon) does not have out of order reads, so my wmb() is
in fact a full mb() from the point of view of the current CPU.  So I
think I could weaken my bariers in set_current_state() and still get
correct operation.  However as you say...

> 					x = 1;
> 					smp_wmb();
> 					wake_up(queue);
> 					(task on CPU 0 is still at
> 					 TASK_RUNNING);
>
> 	current->state = TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE;
> 	smp_wmb(); <<-- does not prevent early loading of x
> 	if (!x)  <<-- returns true
> 		schedule();
>
> Now the task on CPU 0 missed the wake up.
>
> Note, places that call schedule() are not fast paths, and probably not
> called often. Adding the overhead of smp_mb() to ensure correctness is a
> small price to pay compared to search for why you have a stuck task that
> was never woken up.

... It may not be worth the trouble.

> Read Documentation/memory-barriers.txt, it will be worth the time you
> spend doing so.

Indeed I have read it.  My questions arise because the semantics of my
barrier primitives do not map exactly to the semantics prescribed for
mb() and wmb().

A kernel programmer has only the types of barriers described in
memory-barriers.txt available.  Since there is no
mb_on_current_cpu_but_only_order_writes_as_seen_by_other_cpus(), we use
  a full mb() instead.

Thanks for the explanation Steve,

David Daney