Date:	Tue, 02 Feb 2010 15:27:11 -0600
From:	Bob Rodgers <Robert_Rodgers@...l.com>
To:	Linux-kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Matthew Garrett <mjg59@...f.ucam.org>, lenb@...nel.org,
	rpurdie@...ys.net
Subject: Re: Re: [RFC] Dell activity led WMI driver

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:

 > It uses a different GUID to the event interface used by dell-wmi,
 > so right now there's no inherent reason to integrate it into that
 > rather than keeping it as a separate driver. On the other hand,
 > if the GUID is useful for other kinds of system control rather
 > than just the LED then dell-wmi may want to make use of that
 > functionality in the future. In that case we'd need it to be
 > incorporated into the dell-wmi driver.

 > So, really, it depends on the interface. If this GUID is specific to
LEDs,
 > then keep it separate. Otherwise it should be integrated.

 > I've got a few comments on the code...

 > > // Error Result Codes:

 > C99 style comments are usually discouraged in the kernel.

 > > // Devide ID

 > Typo?

 > > // LED Commands

 > > #define CMD_LED_ON 16

 > > #define CMD_LED_OFF 17

 > > #define CMD_LED_BLINK 18

 > Use of whitespace isn't very consistent here.

 > > struct bios_args {

 > > unsigned char Length;

 > > unsigned char ResultCode;

 > > unsigned char DeviceId;

 > > unsigned char Command;

 > > unsigned char OnTime;

 > > unsigned char OffTime;

 > > unsigned char Reserved[122];

 > > };

 > Mm. We're also not usually big on CamelCasing in variable names -
 > it'd be preferable to use underscores. That's true for the rest of
this, too.

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 6:15 AM, Dan Carpenter wrote:

 > It would be better to not put the bios_return struct on the stack.
 > Make it a pointer and use kmalloc().

 > It's a pity the Makefile bits weren't included.

Thank you for all the feedback. We have reviewed the feedback and made
the recommended changes/corrections.

 > So, really, it depends on the interface. If this GUID is specific to
LEDs,
 > then keep it separate. Otherwise it should be integrated.

Since the GUID is specific to LEDs, we will keep the driver separate
rather than integrate it into the dell-wmi module.

 > C99 style comments are usually discouraged in the kernel.

Removed.

 > > // Devide ID

 > Typo?

Yes. Fixed.

 > Use of whitespace isn't very consistent here.

Fixed.

 > Mm. We're also not usually big on CamelCasing in variable names -
 > it'd be preferable to use underscores. That's true for the rest of
this, too.

Corrected. Changed to underscores.

 > > // free the output ACPI object allocated by ACPI driver

 > Probably don't need this comment.

Removed.

 > > CMD_LED_ON, // Command

 > > 0, // not used

 > > 0); // not used

 > > }

 > Whitespace is a bit odd here, again.

Fixed.

 > Other than that, it looks good. You probably want to run it
 > through Scripts/checkpatch.pl in the kernel tree to perform
 > further style checks, but I can't see any functional issues.

We ran the file through Scripts/checkpatch.pl and the script reported 0
errors and 0 warnings.

 > It would be better to not put the bios_return struct on the stack.
 > Make it a pointer and use kmalloc().

Changed to a pointer.

 > It's a pity the Makefile bits weren't included.

The Makefile is now included.

The updated dell_led.c file and the Makefile are attached.

Regards,
Bob Rodgers
Louis Davis

View attachment "Makefile" of type "text/plain" (304 bytes)

View attachment "dell_led.c" of type "text/plain" (5116 bytes)