Date:	Tue, 09 Mar 2010 09:53:37 +0300
From:	Michael Tokarev <mjt@....msk.ru>
To:	Mike Snitzer <snitzer@...hat.com>
CC:	"Martin K. Petersen" <martin.petersen@...cle.com>,
	Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>,
	"linux-ide@...r.kernel.org" <linux-ide@...r.kernel.org>,
	lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Daniel Taylor <Daniel.Taylor@....com>,
	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>, Mark Lord <kernel@...savvy.com>,
	tytso@....edu, "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	hirofumi@...l.parknet.co.jp,
	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>, irtiger@...il.com,
	Matthew Wilcox <matthew@....cx>, aschnell@...e.de,
	knikanth@...e.de, jdelvare@...e.de, Karel Zak <kzak@...hat.com>,
	Jim Meyering <jim@...ering.net>, Neil Brown <neilb@...e.de>
Subject: Re: ATA 4 KiB sector issues.

Mike Snitzer wrote:
[]
> I've been keeping track of all the pieces in play, have coordinated
> with kzak and jim, and have a summary that offers some amount of macro
> detail (at the end I touch on parted and fdisk):
>
> http://people.redhat.com/msnitzer/docs/io-limits.txt

What I don't see in this thread and in this document is - any mention
of linux md layer.  I think it is the first candidate to test the whole
thing, the easiest and most important one.  I mean the alignment and
"recommended I/O size" and all this similar stuff.

Think of a raid5 array - with all the mentioned good stuff in place
fdisk should figure out to align partitions on the array stripe
boundary, and should do that automatically.  And this should be
most easy to debug/test, since the whole thing is controllable
by kernel.

But apparently it does not implement anything of this sort.
Adding Neilb to the Cc list.......

Thanks!

/mjt