Date:	Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:34:30 -0800 (PST)
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...e.de>
cc:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	linux-scsi <linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] final scsi updates for 2.6.34-rc1

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010, James Bottomley wrote:

> I'm not objecting to a shorter merge window, just the unpredictability
> of all of this.

If you read the 2.6.33 release notes, the unpredictability WAS THE WHOLE
F*CKING POINT!

I'm tired of people being able to predict exactly when the merge window
closes, and then using that to make the last days of the merge window be
hell on me, and sending all the merges within about 24 hours of the
closing.

So I'm not doing it.

If you had the major changes ready when the merge window opened, you
should damn well have sent it in _then_.

End of story. I've told people before. The merge window is for _merging_,
not for doing development. If you send me something the last day, then
there is no "window" any more. And It is _really_ annoying to have fifty
pull requests on the last day. I'm not going to take it any more.

And the thing is, all your explanations make things WORSE. You're
basically saying that you're working exactly the way that I'm not going to
accept.

So you're now going to get to wait six or seven weeks, because I refuse to
work the way you have worked me for the last two years. I gave people a
heads-up, and I probably shouldn't have. Some people noticed. And other
people didn't even care, because they never gamed the system in the first
place.

And some people - like you - both gamed the system, and didn't read the
release notes, and now you complain. Tough.

And the fact that you complain about the very fact that you were gaming
the system and now you can't because it's not predictable enough to game
is what just proves my f*cking point!

		Linus