Date:	Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:22:17 -0700
From:	Suresh Siddha <suresh.b.siddha@...el.com>
To:	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Cc:	Robin Holt <holt@....com>, Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...hat.com>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	Venkatesh Pallipadi <venkatesh.pallipadi@...il.com>,
	"x86@...nel.org" <x86@...nel.org>, Rafael Wysocki <rjw@...ell.com>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>
Subject: Re: [patch 0/2] x86,pat: Reduce contention on the memtype_lock -V4

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 04:15 -0700, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010, Robin Holt wrote:

> > > I'm curious: in what workloads did you see contention?
> > >
> > > For any scalability patches it would be always good to have a description
> > > of the workload.
> >
> > It was a job using xpmem (an out of tree kernel module) which uses
> > vm_insert_pfn to establish ptes.  The scalability issues were shown
> > in the first patch.  I do not have any test which shows a performance
> > difference  with the spin_lock to rw_lock conversion.
>
> And what's exactly the point of converting it to a rw_lock then ?

Thomas, As I mentioned earlier I am ok in not doing this conversion. If
we see any performance issues with this spinlock, we can use RCU based
logic to address that.

For now, first patch in this series (which avoid the lock for RAM pages)
is good to go. Thanks Rafael for spotting the page flags bit
manipulation issue.

thanks,
suresh