Date:	Thu, 10 Jun 2010 22:00:40 +1000
From:	Neil Brown <neilb@...e.de>
To:	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>
Cc:	Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras@...il.com>,
	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>, david@...g.hm,
	Florian Mickler <florian@...kler.org>,
	Vitaly Wool <vitalywool@...il.com>,
	Brian Swetland <swetland@...gle.com>,
	Arve Hjønnevåg <arve@...roid.com>,
	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org>, tytso@....edu,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...e.de>,
	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	Linux PM <linux-pm@...ts.linux-foundation.org>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Felipe Balbi <felipe.balbi@...ia.com>,
	Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>
Subject: Re: [linux-pm] suspend blockers & Android integration

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:59:43 +0200
"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl> wrote:

> On Thursday, June 10, 2010, Neil Brown wrote:
> > On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 11:40:27 +0200

> > > Yes, there is, but they've decided to ignore it.

> > > Not quite.  Have you followed all of the discussion, actually?

> > > I agree with Linus and I don't have that much of a problem with the API that
> > > people seem to have.  In fact the much-hated user space API is just a char
> > > device driver with 3 ioctls (that can be extended in future if need be) and
> > > the kernel API is acceptable to me.
> >
> > I think there is a little bit more to it than that.  It seems there is a new
> > ioctl for input/event devices to say "Any events queued here should be
> > treated as wake-up events".  There may be similar additions to other devices,
> > but I know of no details.
>
> That's not in the patchset as in my pull request.
>
> It is used on Android, though, and it would have been submitted separately, had
> the first patchset been merged.

Very true.  But as the one cannot be used without the other, they really need
to be considered as a package.

> > I wonder if we can get a complete statement of changes to the user-space
> > API...
> >
> > >                                       Yes, there is some overlap between it
> > > and PM QoS, but IMhO that overlap may be reduced over time (eg. by
> > > using PM QoS requirements to implement suspend blockers).
> > >
> > > To me, the question boils down to whether or not we're able to persuade the
> > > Android people to use any other approach (eg. by demonstrating that something
> > > else is actually better), because even if we invent a brilliant new approach,
> > > but Android ends up using its old one anyway, the net result will be as though
> > > we haven't done anything useful.
> >
> > Yes.  There is no point unless we can meet somewhere in the middle.  I think
> > that would have to include a full suspend that freezes all processes.
> > Solutions which reject that - while quite clever - would require too much
> > change to Android user-space to be acceptable.
>
> Moreover, having thought a bit more about the "power manager in user space"
> concept I'm not sure if it really is that better than the original wakelocks
> idea.  Namely, it only repaces a kernel-based mechanism with a user space
> task doing basically the same thing, but the communication between that task
> and the other cooperating user space tasks is arguably more complicated (it
> also uses the kernel resources, although indirectly).
>
> So, for a phone-like system, where you'd generally want to simplify user space,
> having a "power manager" in the kernel seems to make sense to me.

Following that logic would we end up putting everything in the kernel?

To my mind the advantage of having something in user-space is flexibility -
you can refine the interfaces and behaviours without bothering the kernel.
The reasons for putting things in the kernel are:
 - tight integration with VM or processes (the two main abstractions that the
   kernel has to manage)
 - privileged access to devices
 - arbitration between processes with different privilege levels

Need-for-speed, on the other hand, is not necessarily a justification for
going in the kernel - experience shows that we can make user-space
interactions quite fast enough.

The "power manager" itself is quite trivial.  It just needs something like:
    while true
          wait for all wake-locks to be dropped
          activate suspend
and for 'activate suspend' to be interruptible by something taking out a
wake-lock.

To my mind, the most interesting part of this is interruptibility.  There is
essentially only one way to do that in Unix/Linux: signals.
So it makes sense to have a task - with a pid - performing this loop so that
it can be sent a signal.
And we already have mechanisms for sending signals on all sorts of different
events, both kernel events (fcntl(F_OWNER)), file events (FNOTIFY), and
normal process operations (kill).

If you are going to have a process (which I think you should) it makes sense
for it to spend some time in user-space to use ipc-of-your-choice to
communicate with other processes, and spend some time in kernel-space to be
able to wait for in-kernel locks to be dropped, and to use signals to get out
of kernel-space, and system calls to get into kernel space.

Yes, the proposed user-space interface for suspend blocks may not be all that
horrible.  But the fact is that you can get all the required functionality by
just using currently existing interfaces.  Against that background, adding
anything new should be avoided.

NeilBrown