Date:	Fri, 23 Jul 2010 22:19:33 +0200
From:	Martin Mokrejs <mmokrejs@...osome.natur.cuni.cz>
To:	Jay Fenlason <fenlason@...hat.com>
CC:	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: 2.6.35-rc6 to 2.6.32.16: JuJu firewire issues

Hi Jay,
  I removed the old firewire modules from kernel .config and recompiled&reinstalled
the kernel file and modules on compiuter A, and disabled the firewire_sbp2 on host B.
  I have power problems with the drive when on firewire, though. It seems the desktop
PC (ASUS P5K WS 1.0004) is not able to feed the WD 1.0TB 2.5 5200rpm" drive. I tried
the firewire ports on the front of the box as well those from the motherboard. Even,
plugged in the USB power "jack", no luck. If I use the USB port + USB power it works
fine. I just unplugged the device after not being able to even run "fdisk /dev/sdh".
  At the moment I have screwed superblock on the filesystem and will have to re-start
from scratch. The attached dmesg talks about "Device offlined - not ready after error
recovery" but I hope this is a temporary issue, and I just disconnected the device
at the very end.
  BTW, some driver is not ACPI compliant according to dmesg.

  The chip in the external IcyBox IB-250StUE-B is JMicron JMB 353 doing the USB+FireWire+SATA
work for the 2.5" WD drive.
Martin

Jay Fenlason wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 08:38:26PM +0200, Martin Mokrejs wrote:
>> Hi Jay,
>>   thank you for you thorough explanation. Let me just briefly re-phrase what
>> I have. The topology is as of now:
>>
>>            A                                                B
>>
>>         VT6306                                           R5C552
>>          |   |                                            |   |
>>          |   ------------- firewire-net+sbp2---------------   |
>>          |                                                    --- unused port
>>          ------ external drive enclosure (2 FW ports, 1USB port, one PWR port)
>>

>>   In other words, I did not plugin two firewire cables into the two sockets on the
>> external drive enclosure, each coming from a different computer. I am not that
>> desperate user. ;) I suspect you thought I have the external drive in between
>> both computers. No, I don't.
>
> The firewire bus is very egalitarian (unlike USB).  All devices on the
> bus (disk, camera, computer, etc) are devices on the bus.  The bus
> doesn't care which device is in the middle of a three-node
> configuration.  (Well, unless some of the devices are capable of
> speeds that the other devices can't do, but that's a special case.)
>
>>   Computer A (desktop) has VT6306 Fire II IEEE 1394 chip, 3 ports, one connected
>> to the external hard drive, another to computer B (laptop) used for the TCP IP
>> networking.
>>
>>   Computer B has Ricoh Co Ltd R5C552 IEEE 1394 chip. I should blacklist firewire_sbp
>> driver so that the laptop does not try to access the external hard drive.
>
> Yes.
>
>>   Yes, I have realized that the old firewire modules take precedence over the new
>> JuJu stuff. I used only the JuJu driver but after experiencing problems I decided
>> to compile as modules also the old drivers. I will repoduce this with the JuJu
>> drivers alone once again. (I have given that up meanwhile and I use the USB port
>> to transfer the data now - but will re-try and re-post.)
>
> I'm curious about how firewire-net is doing.  I know eth1394 can be
> taken down with a simple ping flood, so I hope it is more resiliant
> than that.

View attachment "dmesg-2.6.35-rc6-juju-only.txt" of type "text/plain" (46587 bytes)