Date:	Thu, 29 Jul 2010 07:20:19 +0100
From:	trapDoor <trapdoor6@...il.com>
To:	Nir Tzachar <nir.tzachar@...il.com>
Cc:	Sam Ravnborg <sam@...nborg.org>, Michal Marek <mmarek@...e.cz>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"Justin P. Mattock" <justinmattock@...il.com>, trivial@...nel.org
Subject: Re: Small typo in kernel [current source from git] .config option

Hello,

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 6:04 AM, Nir Tzachar <nir.tzachar@...il.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Sam Ravnborg <sam@...nborg.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 05:41:47PM +0200, Michal Marek wrote:
>>> (adding Nir, who wrote nconfig, to CC).

>>> The problem is that nconfig uses the higher-level ncurses libraries
>>> libmenu and libpanel, which make some things easier, but aren't as
>>> flexible as using ncurses directly. Patches are welcome of course :-).
>
> The problem does arise from the use of libmenue, which gives you no
> control over the rendering of menue items. You can not specify any
> attributes for specific menu item's letters.
>
>> The capitilazing is the main reason why I have
>> not recommended nconfig to be default.
>>
>> And I doubt the shortcut letters are used that often.
>> One idea could be to drop the shortcut for the individual menus.
>
> I almost never use them and removing them will have the benefit of
> cleaning the code.

Neither do I. And I don't know anyone who would find them very useful.
Anyway, if you compile kernel regularly, especially from git, you
usually keep the same .config from previous compilations, and just run
make oldconfig rather than any of the graphical tools. Unless you want
to do some major changes. But even then I don't think many people
would care about key shortcuts.

Only if they were going to be kept in nconfig I'd say that fixing the
capitalisation somehow would be a good thing to do. But if you are
going to remove them and thus make the fix possible and the code
cleaner - that suits me. I will still prefer the simple and clean
nconfig's interface over menuconfig with mnemonics.

--
Thanks,
trapDoor