Date:	Tue, 03 Aug 2010 14:58:10 -0700
From:	ebiederm@...ssion.com (Eric W. Biederman)
To:	Matthew Garrett <mjg59@...f.ucam.org>
Cc:	Huang Ying <ying.huang@...el.com>,
	"Tang\, Feng" <feng.tang@...el.com>,
	Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas@...com>,
	"linux-kernel\@vger.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: EFI runtime-services on x86_64

Matthew Garrett <mjg59@...f.ucam.org> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 02:45:33PM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>
>> EFI runtime calls have the nasty fact that they don't work in general even
>> if EFI is present because you may have the wrong word size EFI running on
>> your machine.  A 32bit EFI and a 64bit kernel or a 64bit EFI and a 32bit kernel.
>
> You've already failed to boot in that case.

Only if you have EFI runtime services enabled in your kernel.  You can
skip the efi junk and the kernel runs just fine.  Doing what we do on
every other platform which appears to be a combination of ACPI and
direct hardware access appears to be good enough, and that is a path
that actually gets tested regularly.

Eric