Date:	Sat, 11 Sep 2010 22:46:46 +0400
From:	Evgeniy Polyakov <zbr@...emap.net>
To:	David Airlie <airlied@...ux.ie>
Cc:	dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: i915 blank screen and crash

Hi David.

I use the latest git tree as well as 2.6.35, 2.6.32 (both ubuntu lucid)
and various 26-rc candidates with the same problem on Dell E4310 laptop:
screen blanks when getting to X start. System works ok, but without
screen (switch to text console does not help).

If I add 'i915.nomodeset xforcevese nomodeset' screen still blanks but
kernel panics. Unfortunately I can not connect it to any other computer
to get netconsole dump.

If I add 'i915.nomodeset xforcevese nomodeset single' kernel command
line then X can be started 'manually' in a failsafe mode (there is a
ncurses screen in ubuntu for that).

I read a lot of internets about this problem but neither solution helps
in my case. I added a small debug to intel_dp_link_required(), which
prints some params, namely whether device is edp/pch, pixel clocks and
returned value for the case when both edp and pch are set, which is not
the case for my hardware: pch is not set.

I attach dmesg and X log for successful failsafe start, hope it will
help.

Thank you.

--
	Evgeniy Polyakov

View attachment "dmesg" of type "text/plain" (53615 bytes)

View attachment "Xorg.0.log" of type "text/plain" (18785 bytes)