Date:	Sat, 25 Sep 2010 08:02:01 -0700
From:	Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>
To:	Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [00/80] 2.6.35.6 stable review

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 04:49:57PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday, September 24, 2010, Greg KH wrote:
> >This is the start of the stable review cycle for the 2.6.35.6 release.
> >There are 80 patches in this series, all will be posted as a response
> >to this one.  If anyone has any issues with these being applied, please
> >let us know.  If anyone is a maintainer of the proper subsystem, and
> >wants to add a Signed-off-by: line to the patch, please respond with it.

> >Anything received after that time might be too late.
> >
> >The whole patch series can be found in one patch at:
> >	kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/stable-review/patch-2.6.35.6-rc1.gz
>
> Hi Greg;  I just pulled this about an hour ago, built it from a make
> oldconfig based on a flawlessly running 2.6.35.4.

Please cc: me on messages, I don't read lkml as well as I should these
days due to travel.

> 3 things I call regressions.
>
> 1. On rebooting to it, and launching kmail, cpu went to 100% of whatever
> core it skipped to on a 4 core amd phenom box with 4G of ram.  Normally,
> kmail on a restart will check and rebuild its indices, taking maybe 4 or 5
> minutes to do this up till now, during that time keyboard/mouse
> interactivity lags a split second.  This time it was 44 minutes before I
> got my machine back.  At times the keyboard went dead for minutes at a
> time.  I even went to the kitchen and got fresh batteries for it, only to
> have everything I had typed blind 2 minutes before, show up on screen while
> there was no batteries in it.

Odd, can you try reverting the patch below to see if it makes things
better?  I need to drop it as Jens said it might cause problems.  Let me
know if that solves the problem or not please.

> 2. That I think is separate from the login screen, there I had no keyboard
> or mouse for a minute, but something finally registered and I was able to
> log in then.
>
> 3. My usb tree is not fully populated, this has been a frequent problem for
> the last year or so, udev often does not wait for responses long enough to
> trace a several hubs tall tree to the last branch so I have to crawl under
> and unplug the missing stuff later, which is then properly recognized when I
> plug it back into the same socket on the same hub.  One of my often missing
> printers is 4 hubs away in the basement.

These both sound like the same issue, you might want to work to resolve
them.

Oh, and 4 hubs distance, that's pushing the limits of USB, one flaky
cable and you are not going to have a working printer...

thanks,

greg k-h

View attachment "bdi-fix-warnings-in-__mark_inode_dirty-for-dev-zero-and-friends.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (2987 bytes)