Date:	Fri, 15 Oct 2010 05:03:36 +0200
From:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
To:	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>
Cc:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Pekka Enberg <penberg@...nel.org>,
	David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...hat.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Casey Dahlin <cdahlin@...hat.com>, x86@...nel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
Subject: Re: [patch] x86: allow ZONE_DMA to be configurable

* H. Peter Anvin <hpa@...or.com> wrote:

> I don't like the CONFIG_EXPERT prefix, just because it makes it hard
> to move things into and out of this rubric, and that's bad...

Hm, i'm not sure i agree.

> (consider: "oh, that would mean this *huge* patch) ...

If config options are present in many places in the source that's an
independent problem already.

Typically kconfig variables are used in a few places and any rename
patch makes it clear in all those places what happened: either a config
variable became obscure (moved into CONFIG_EXPERT's scope), *or* a
config variable became much less obscure (moved out of that scope) -
both important pieces of information, which i dont mind to see happen in
every place that gets affected.

Put differently: if we have a CONFIG_EXPERT_ kconfig variable in so many
places in the kernel that it creates a huge patch then we have some
other kind of problem: it either should not be an expert option (it's
too common or too important), or it should not be an option at all (it's
a perpetual build failure risk).

Also, historically we have not been moving kconfig variables in and out
of CONFIG_EMBEDDED all that often for this to be an issue in the future.

> [...] not to mention that what is CONFIG_EXPERT on one platform may
> not be for another! [...]

Dunno, that i'd consider more of a bug. If an architecture absolutely
needs to configure in or out a kernel feature then it should not be
under CONFIG_EXPERT on other architectures either: it only sets us up
for cross-arch build failures if say the CONFIG_EXPERT dependency is
present on x86.

Or, if an architecture still wants it that way, it better be explicitly
aware that it's configuring in a little-tested kconfig switch of the
kerenl.

I.e. something being an 'expert option' is synonymous with obscurity and
potential weirdness on at least one arch - which i dont see as
inherently wrong to be visible (via the name) on other architectures
either.

Thanks,

	Ingo