Date:	Fri, 15 Oct 2010 05:10:14 +0200
From:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...hat.com>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Casey Dahlin <cdahlin@...hat.com>, x86@...nel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [patch] x86: allow ZONE_DMA to be configurable

* Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:15:28 -0700 (PDT)
> David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com> wrote:

> > > I wonder how hard it would be to do this at runtime, probably with a
> > > boot parameter.
> > >

> > A "no_zone_dma" boot parameter wouldn't allow us to achieve the text or
> > data savings that we see from disabling all three options in question
> > here.
>
> True, but doing it at runtime is vastly more user-friendly.  Distros
> aren't doing to double the number of kernels they package for this
> option!

Strongly agreed!

Can we automate it perhaps? Drivers could express their zone needs, and
perhaps we can free up the zone if there's no relevant driver loaded by
the time we have booted up? If a hotplug driver arrives later on, is the
MM good enough for us to be able to reinstate the zone dynamically?

Since we allocate top-down generally, the chance that the low zone is
100% filled up with pinned, unmovable kmalloc buffers is small, so this
solution could be practical - even if much of that zone is utilized
already. These low allocations are pretty small typically.

We could also shrink the zone to an emergency amount, say 1MB, instead
of zapping it completely, or so.

Thanks,

	Ingo