Date:	Wed, 24 Nov 2010 14:45:16 +0800
From:	Shaohui Zheng <shaohui.zheng@...el.com>
To:	akpm@...ux-foundation.org, gregkh@...e.de, rientjes@...gle.com
Cc:	mingo@...hat.com, hpa@...or.com, tglx@...utronix.de,
	lethal@...ux-sh.org, ak@...ux.intel.com, yinghai@...nel.org,
	randy.dunlap@...cle.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-mm@...ck.org, x86@...nel.org, haicheng.li@...el.com,
	haicheng.li@...ux.intel.com, shaohui.zheng@...ux.intel.com
Subject: Re: [patch 2/2] mm: add node hotplug emulation

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 09:47:06AM +0800, Shaohui Zheng wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 09:47:02AM +0800, Zheng, Shaohui wrote:
>
> For cpu/memory physical hotplug, we have the unique interface probe/release,
> it is the _standard_ interface, it is not only for x86, ppc use the the interface
> as well. For node hotplug, it should follow the rule.
>
> You are creating a new interface /sys/devices/system/memory/add_node to add both
> memory and node, you are just trying to create DUPLICATED feature with the
> memory probe interface, it breaks the rule.
>
> I did NOT see the feature difference with our emulator patch http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/11/16/740,
> you pick up a piece of feature from emulator, and create an other thread. You
> are trying to replace the interface with a new one, which is not recommended.
> the memory probe interface is already powerful and flexible enough after apply
> our patch. What's more important, it keeps the old directives, and it maintains
> backwards compatibility.
>
> Add a memory section(128M) to node 3(boots with mem=1024m)
>
> 	echo 0x40000000,3 > memory/probe
>
> And more we make it friendly, it is possible to add memory to do
>
> 	echo 3g > memory/probe
> 	echo 1024m,3 > memory/probe
>
> It maintains backwards compatibility.
>
> Another format suggested by Dave Hansen:
>
> 	echo physical_address=0x40000000 numa_node=3 > memory/probe
>
> we should not need duplicated interface /sys/devices/system/memory/add_node here.

ah, a long time silence.

Does somebody know the status of this patch, is it accepted by the maintainer?
I am not in patch's CC list, so I will not get mail notice when the patch was
accepted by the maintainer.

the other hotplug emulator patches has dependency on this patch, so I can not
re-make my patchset if this patch is still pending. thanks.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Shaohui