Date:	Mon, 24 Jan 2011 18:03:22 -0800
From:	Kees Cook <kees.cook@...onical.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	Rusty Russell <rusty@...tcorp.com.au>, Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>,
	Marcus Meissner <meissner@...e.de>,
	Jason Wessel <jason.wessel@...driver.com>,
	Eugene Teo <eugeneteo@...nel.org>,
	Joe Perches <joe@...ches.com>,
	Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas@...com>,
	Len Brown <len.brown@...el.com>,
	Changli Gao <xiaosuo@...il.com>,
	Dan Rosenberg <drosenberg@...curity.com>
Subject: RFC: introduce "K" flag for printf, similar to %pK

In the interests of hiding kernel addresses from userspace (without
messing with file permissions), I want to use %pK for /proc/kallsyms and
/proc/modules, but this results in changing several %x's to %p's. The
primary side-effects is that some legitimately "0" value things in
/proc/kallsyms turn into "(null)".

For example in kernel/kallsyms.c:
-               seq_printf(m, "%0*lx %c %s\t[%s]\n",
+               seq_printf(m, "%0*pK %c %s\t[%s]\n",

This results in /proc/kallsyms looking like this:
          (null) D irq_stack_union
          (null) D __per_cpu_start
0000000000004000 D gdt_page

(Secondary effect is building with -Wformat results in harmless warnings
"warning: '0' flag used with ā€˜%pā€™ gnu_printf format".)

If, on the other hand, I introduce a printf flag "K" for numbers, the
original behavior is left, and kernel/kallsyms.c changes like this:
-               seq_printf(m, "%0*lx %c %s\t[%s]\n",
+               seq_printf(m, "%K0*lx %c %s\t[%s]\n",

The only side-effect from this is when compiling with -Wformat, now we get
these harmless warnings "warning: unknown conversion type character 'K' in
format", as well as breaking the warning parser, so it can't count arguments
correctly any more "warning: format '%s' expects type 'char *', but
argument 4 has type 'long unsigned int'" etc.

I'm not very happy with either situation, but I'll reply to this email
with both versions of the potential patch...

-Kees

--
Kees Cook
Ubuntu Security Team