Date:	Sun, 27 Feb 2011 08:56:48 -0700
From:	d@...t.net (Dave Täht)
To:	sedat.dilek@...il.com
Cc:	"John W. Linville" <linville@...driver.com>,
	bloat-devel@...ts.bufferbloat.net, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: debloat-testing kernel git tree

Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@...glemail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Dave Täht <d@...t.net> wrote:
>>
>> Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@...glemail.com> writes:

>> ----snip----

>> Excellent. At moment I would recommend building "low latency preempt
>> desktop" kernels with a high HZ value (400 or 1000), enabling highres
>> timers, and compiling in SFB as a module. (I'd like the default for SFB
>> to be "m" rather than "n", too)
>>

> These "debloat guys" are fast :-).  I was just preparing my
> build-system (which I normally use to debianize linux-next kernels).
> Any other recommendation for kernel-config options?  For example:
> linux-next has already CONFIG_NET_SCH_CHOKE (but I have unset it).

Enable CHOKe.

The HZ value change is due to my worry that we've smashed latency so
much in the driver/mac layer that it's interacting with the higher
layers somewhat badly... So we need to add more hooks to the servo loops
involved in order to have a normal HZ.

> Which commits are in debloat-testing GIT but not in linux-next tree?

The current list was in the release announcement. More on the way
(mostly embedded drivers at this point) git pull early and often!

> Are you planning debloat feature for 2.6.39?

Depends on how many testers we get and what the results are.

I feel the eBDP stuff will not be ready during this release cycle. SFB
and CHOKe are in net-next, so, probably. Various driver patches -
particularly those that increase the available dynamic range via
ethtool, (e.g lowering the bottommost TX queue limit to, like, 4,
especially for home gateways) may make it out if people look harder into
the issue.

--
Dave Taht
http://nex-6.taht.net