Date:	Mon, 21 Mar 2011 23:16:54 +0800
From:	Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@...il.com>
To:	nidhi mittal hada <nidhimittal19@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-usb@...r.kernel.org, linux-arm-kernel@...ts.arm.linux.org.uk,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: usb-serial gadget -- windows xp not working

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 10:43 PM, nidhi mittal hada
<nidhimittal19@...il.com> wrote:
> Hi all
> I tried using g_serial driver for using my BeagleBoard (BB)  as usb
> serial gadget to connect it to windows xp host.
> using this link
> http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/usb/gadget_serial.txt
>
> The command
> modprobe g_serial executed properly  on BB (gadget) and It gets
> identified successfully on Linus host(ubuntu) when connected through
> usb wire.
>
> But
> when the gadget connected to Windows XP .
> Host XP identifies a new hardware in device manager ...But the step of
> installing the .inf file obtained from
> http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/usb/linux-cdc-acm.inf
> does not succeed !!!

The inf file indeed has some bugs. But I doubt that is your problem.
http://www.microchip.com/forums/fb.ashx?m=488342

mchpcdc.inf (and its derivatives)

 [DestinationDirs]
 FakeModemCopyFileSection=12            ; <------ add this line
 DefaultDestDir=12

 [DriverInstall.nt]
 include=mdmcpq.inf
 ;; CopyFiles = DriverCopyFiles.nt      ; <------ wrong one: reference
to this INF file
 CopyFiles = FakeModemCopyFileSection   ; <------ right one: reference
to a section in mdmcpq.inf
 AddReg=DriverInstall.nt.AddReg

 ;; [DriverCopyFiles.nt]                ; <------ delete these lines
 ;; usbser.sys,,,0x20                   ; <------

> As i found after googling --  i changed the product ID Vendor ID in
> .inf file ..as found for my gadget.
> But the problem persists.!!!

If you have used the VID/PID for other experiment, then you will got
problems. You can use usbdeview to get Windows to forget about
the VID/PID combination.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Or you can use pnputil if you have WDK.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff550419(v=vs.85).aspx