Date:	Sat, 23 Apr 2011 16:43:54 +1000
From:	Chris Samuel <chris@...muel.org>
To:	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>
Cc:	Yuhong Bao <yuhongbao_386@...mail.com>, alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk,
	tglx@...utronix.de, mingo@...hat.com, x86@...nel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 2.6.38.3 and 2.6.39-rc4 hangs after "Booting the kernel" on quad Pentium Pro system

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 12:03:55 PM H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> I suspect this broke during the rewrite of the setup code to
> C in 2007.

Looking at arch/x86/boot/memory.c I see the snipped:

        } else {
                /*
                 * This ignores memory above 16MB if we have a memory
                 * hole there.  If someone actually finds a machine
                 * with a memory hole at 16MB and no support for
                 * 0E820h they should probably generate a fake e820
                 * map.
                 */
                boot_params.alt_mem_k = oreg.ax;
        }

Could this be what's going on ?  Or am I just grasping at straws ? :-)

cheers,
Chris

This email may come with a PGP signature as a file. Do not panic.
For more info see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenPGP

Download attachment "signature.asc " of type "application/pgp-signature" (483 bytes)